The latest business and financial issues making the headlines.
- Government statistics reveal shortfall.
- Plastic packaging tax A new plastic packaging tax will take effect from 1 April 2022 at a rate of £200 per tonne. This will apply to plastic packaging produced in, or imported into, the UK that does not contain at least 30% recycled plastic. The ...
- Abolition of the ‘tampon tax' The first headline for VAT in the Chancellor's speech came when Sunak announced that the UK leaving the EU presents an opportunity to introduce legislation applying the zero-rate of VAT to women's sanitary products. VAT is...
- Rates and allowances The tax-free personal allowance will remain at £12,500 for the 2020/21 tax year throughout the UK. The basic-rate band in England, Northern Ireland and Wales will stay at £37,500 and consequently, the higher-rate threshold will con...
- High earners poised for pensions boost.
- Time to sweep away barriers to business growth.
- Participation rate increased 30% over eight years.
- Business group warns against abolishment in Spring Budget.
- A round-up of the best rumours for individuals and businesses.
- Landlords to lose relief on finance costs from 2020/21.